Grants and Fellowships
In addition to ACH’s own prizes and fellowships posted on our website (http://www.associationofcaribbeanhistorians.org/prizes.htm), the following programs might be of interest to ACH members. If you would like to propose a fellowship or prize for posting, please contact the ACH Secretary-Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org
KILTV Post-Doctoral Fellowship (beginning August/September 2013; applications due by May 1, 2013).
The Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde (KITLV) / Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies is an institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). It has specialized in collecting information and advancing research on the present and former Dutch colonies and their surroundings since 1851. Today it is an authoritative research institute focusing on Southeast Asia, in particular Indonesia, and the Caribbean, especially Suriname and the Dutch Antilles. Our collections, publications, and research encompass the humanities and the social sciences, ranging from colonial history to present-day social issues. KITLV houses sizeable and diverse collections. Since 1969 KITLV has a representative office in Indonesia, KITLV-Jakarta, in collaboration with the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI).
KITLV initiates and coordinates innovative research on the Caribbean and Indonesia. It engages in research that is theoretically informed, comparative, and empirically strong. Research on both regions focuses on contemporary socio-political developments, as well as on historical themes.
We are looking for a talented: postdoctoral researcher (38hrs/week_
has conducted research in Southeast Asia or the Caribbean
has completed a PhD thesis in the humanities or social sciences
has published his/her first monograph and articles in peer reviewed international journals
speaks one of the local languages of these areas
During the appointment the researcher:
will conduct research in one of the following fields in which KITLV researchers are engaged: the history of ecology and economy of Southeast Asia; recent changes in state society relations, including citizenship and clientelism in Southeast Asia or the Caribbean, which also includes a new research project on ‘regime change and emotions’; transnational aspects of cultural politics ranging from heritage to popular culture; postcolonial migrations; and the making of an audiovisual archive of everyday life in Indonesia; decolonization in a comparative perspective.
has preferably affinity with new tools and research methods in the so-called e-humanities in order to explore large sets of digitized data.
is expected to prepare a project proposal which will be submitted to an external funding agency such as European funds or NWO.
will write articles to be submitted to international peer reviewed journals.
We offer a one-year position starting in August/September 2013, which can be extended with one more year; a dynamic research environment; an excellent library; and good research facilities.
Appointment will be according to the terms of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO Nederlandse Universiteiten), for the duration of one year, with a possible extension of s. The function is validated in the University Function Ordening system (UFO) under the profile “Onderzoeker (researcher)”. The salary will be set, depending on education and work experience, between € 2.861,- and of € 4.374,- per month, based on fulltime employment (salary scale: 10 or 11). KNAW offers an attractive benefits package.
Applications (plus a CV and two letters of recommendation) should be sent before May 1st , 2013 to Prof Henk Schulte Nordholt, head of research of KITLV (email@example.com) who can also provide additional information.
Two-Year Postdoctoral Fellowships, University of Stirling, Scotland (application deadline is February 17, 2013)
The University of Stirling, Scotland, is inviting applications for its 2-year post-doctoral fellowships. Fellowships are available across Stirling's five areas of research excellence: health and wellbeing, culture and society, environment and communities, enterprise and economy, and sport. The deadline is 17 February. For more information see: http://www.stir.ac.uk/impact/fellowships/
Here is a link to the job details and application procedure:
Marcus Garvey Fellowships (application deadline March 7, 2013).
Marcus Garvey Foundation graduate research fellowships support work in the areas of African, African diaspora, Caribbean, and African American History/Studies. The two available fellowships are:
1) Marcus Garvey Foundation Research Fellowship:
This fellowship, named in honor of the Marcus Garvey Foundation, looks to support doctoral candidates doing primary research in the humanities and social sciences on topics related to Africa and the African diaspora. Those doctoral candidates using archival collections and/or conducting oral
histories are especially encouraged to apply. Research fellows receive grants of $500 to help defray research expenses.
2) Jean Harvey Slappy Research Fellowship:
This fellowship -- named in honor of long-time Marcus Garvey Foundation board member Jean Harvey Slappy -- looks to support doctoral candidates working on aspects of the history of the U.N.I.A. (Universal Negro Improvement Association), the A.C.L. (African Communities League), and/or
Marcus Garvey's organizational activities, and who wish to use the recently deposited Thomas W. Harvey/U.N.I.A. papers (Finding Aid: http://tiny.cc/buv7a) located at Emory University's Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library. Research fellows receive grants of $500 to help
defray expenses associated with travel to and use of the archival collection.
For more information click here. Click again to close.
EUROTAST – A Marie Curie Initial Training Network on the History, Archaeology and New Genetics of the Transatlantic Slave Trade.
13 PhD Fellowships (in history, archaeology, bioarchaeology, social anthropology, genetics and bioinformatics)
EUROTAST is a new European-funded research network that will bring together an unprecedented range of young researchers to examine the history of the transatlantic slave trade and to explore its long-term effects. As part of the project, we are currently hiring 13 Early Stage Researchers to work on various projects relating to the slave trade. Each Fellowship is equivalent to a 3-year fully funded PhD position and must commence on 1 May 2012. The successful applicants will be recruited from a wide range of disciplines including history, archaeology, social anthropology, genetics and bioinformatics and will be based at 10 partner institutions across Europe. By bringing together researchers from these various fields, we will generate new data that will add to our knowledge of how the slave trade operated and how it impacted the lives of millions of people. For more details on the individual projects please visit our website at www.eurotast.eu or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information click here. Click again to close.
Academic Requirements: Eligible applicants for the ESR Fellowships (equivalent to a PhD position) must be in possession of a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree, in a relevant field. However, individual departments and universities will have their own specific entry requirements. Eligibility criteria set by the European Union for Marie Curie ESR fellowships require that the applicants have no more than 4 years research experience prior to the envisaged starting date.
Marie Curie ITN mobility requirement: Researchers can be nationals of any country other than the country of the premises of the host organisation where they will carry out their project. However, the ESR Fellowships only cover the fee levels for EU citizens, not those for students from outside the EU. At the time of the selection, applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country where their Fellowship is to be held for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the starting date of the fellowship.
Application process: Please note that applications are welcomed from any qualified applicants, regardless of gender, ethnicity or country of origin, but will only be considered if eligibility requirements are met and the application guidelines are strictly adhered to. Applicants should send a full CV, a short cover letter outlining briefly why they are suitable for the position(s), and the names of 2 referees to email@example.com. For full details on how to apply please visit our website at www.eurotast.eu. Deadline for applications is 31 January 2012.
Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowship Opportunities (various deadlines for application; look by grant).
The Organization of American States through its Department of Human Development, Education and Culture is currently offering an abundance of Scholarships for Master's Degrees and Professional Development Training in a variety of fields. The deadlines to apply for the partial and full scholarships listed below are fast approaching, interested candidates must apply soon.
We need your help to disseminate this information as widely as possible. We ask you to please forward this email to colleagues, friends, family and to anyone that might be interested so that these scholarships are awarded to those who will most benefit from them. If you cannot view this email, or if the links to information on specific programs have been disabled, please visit www.oas.org/en/scholarships.
For more information click here. Click again to close.
The OAS and the Coimbra Group of Brazilian Universities are offering 50 full scholarships for eligible 2-year Master's Programs in Brazil.
* More than 200 available programs offered by 15 participating universities throughout Brazil.
* Scholarships cover full tuition, a 1,200RS (approx. US$750) per month stipend and a one-time payment of US$1,500 to help offset the cost of travel.
* There is no language requirement for native Spanish speakers and native speakers of English or any other language must only demonstrate an intermediate level of Portuguese. Portuguese language support will be offered to all scholarship recipients by host universities. For more information, click here. http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592731
Other Great OAS Scholarship Opportunities for Academic Programs include:
Universidad de los Andes (100% tuition + partial stipend US$200/month)
* Master in Political Science: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592794 [Spanish/onsite in
* Master in Public Policy: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592794 [Spanish/onsite in
* Master in Systems and Computer Engineering: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592794 [Spanish/onsite in Bogotá, Colombia]
* Master in Industrial Engineering: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592794 [Spanish/onsite in Bogotá, Colombia]
* Master in Cultural Studies: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592794 [Spanish/onsite in
Midwestern State University (60% tuition)
* Master of Arts in Training and Development: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592801 [English/online]
Structuralia - La Escuela de Organización Industrial (50% tuition)
* Executive International MBA in Construction/Infrastructure: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592815 [Spanish/online+onsite in Spain]
Structuralia - Golf Business Group (56% tuition)
* Master in Golf Business Administration: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592836 [Spanish/online]
Structuralia - Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña (40% tuition)
* Master in Construction Project Management: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592843 [Spanish/online]
* Master in Intermodal Transport of Goods: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592843 [Spanish/online]
Structuralia - Universidad Internacional de La Rioja (40% tuition)
* Master in Highway Construction, Maintenance and Operation: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592843 [Spanish/online]
* Postgraduate Diploma in Highway Construction: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592843 [Spanish/online]
Structuralia - Universidad Pontificia Comillas (20% tuition)
* Master in High Voltage Electrical Infrastructure Projects and Construction: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592843 [Spanish/online]
* Postgraduate Diploma in High Voltage Electrical Infrastructure Projects and Construction: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592843 [Spanish/online]
* Postgraduate Diploma in High Voltage Electrical Infrastructure Maintenance: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592843 [Spanish/online]
Universidad Regiomontana (75% tuition)
* Master in Tourism Business Management: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592871 [Spanish/online]
* Master in Administration, Specialization in Finance: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592871 [Spanish/online]
* Master in Administration, Specialization in Marketing: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592871 [Spanish/online]
* Master in Administration, Specialization in Global Management: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592871 [Spanish/online]
* Master in Administration, Specialization in Organizational Development: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592871 [Spanish/online]
OAS Emergency Scholarship Program for Haiti (Haitian citizens only), State University of New York, Empire State College (100% tuition)
* Introduction to Human Services Course: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592885 [English/online]
* Management Principles Course: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592885 [English/online]
* Marketing Principles Course: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592885 [English/online]
* Introduction to Entrepreneurship Course: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592885 [English/online]
* Introduction to Emergency Management Course: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=592885 [English/online]
Centro de Capacitación Internacional Aharón Ofri
* Metodologías Educacionales: Juventud en Riesgo: Prevención de la Deserción Estudiantil y Facilitación de la Reintegración: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=593074> [Spanish/onsite
Tecnología para la Organización Pública (TOP) and Universidad Nacional del Litoral de Argentina (UNL)
* Ética pública, transparencia y anticorrupción: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=593074 [Spanish/online]
Pontifica Universidad Javeriana (PUJ)
* Desarrollo Académico en la Transformación de Conflictos Sociales: Vinculando Teoría y Práctica para fortalecer la Gobernabilidad Democrática en Latinoamérica y el Caribe : http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=593074> [Spanish/onsite Bogotá, Colombia]
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Información Geográfica (CIAF) del Instituto Geográfico Agustín Codazzi (IGAC)
* Análisis y Modelamiento SIG para Aplicaciones en Medio Ambiente : http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=593074> [Spanish/onsite Bogota, Colombia]
* Percepción Remota y Procesamiento Digital de Imágenes: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=593074> [Spanish/onsite Bogota, Colombia]
Didn't find what you were looking for? In addition to the many scholarships and training programs listed above, students from Latin America and the Caribbean studying in the United States may apply for
interest-free student loans through the Leo S. Rowe Pan-American Fund. For details and restrictions, please visit the Rowe Fund website: http://www.educalum.org/link.asp?ymlink=593172 .
Thank you for your support and we hope that you or someone you know will be able to take advantage of these unique, time-sensitive opportunities. For more information and for up-to-date information on all current scholarships and training offers, please visit www.oas.org/en/scholarships .